Gefilte Fish is made from fish such as carp, whitefish, or pike (note: to be considered Kosher, fish must have scales and fins), or a combination thereof. To this would be added onions, egg, matzoh meal or crumbs, along with salt, sugar, and plenty of black pepper.
Optavia Gefilte Fish Recipe
Traditionally, gefilte fish is made from fish such as carp, whitefish, pike, or a combination thereof. To this would be added onions, egg, matzoh meal or crumbs, along with salt, sugar, and plenty of black pepper.
- Cut the fish into small pieces and place in a food processor with ¾ teaspoon of salt; chop into a coarse paste. Alternately, you can purchase ground cod.
- Add the eggs and scallions to the fish and mix thoroughly.
- Shape the ground fish into 12 balls, about 2 to 3 ounces each.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil and add 1/4 tsp of salt. Add the celery and kohlrabi, bring back to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the broth with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Carefully add the fish balls into the simmering broth and cook very gently for 8 to 10 minutes.
- When ready to eat, place a quarter of the vegetable into a bowl and top with 1 cup of broth; repeat for remaining servings. Top with cooked fish balls (2 per bowl) and garnish each bowl with about 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley.
- Combine the horseradish with the sour cream and serve on the side (about ¼ cup per serving).
Gefilte Fish, Optavia Recipes