These pork tacos are a quick and easy explosion of flavor and texture in every bite! They are loaded with spice-rubbed pork, sweet crunchy Corn Salsa, and creamy Avocado Crema. The pork is seasoned while on the cutting board, cooked for just a few minutes in a skillet, then piled in tortillas with all your favorite toppings!
Optavia Pork Tacos Recipe
These pork tacos are Mexican barbecue dishes, more specifically a dish of the Southern U.S., based on shredded barbecued pork shoulder. It is typically slow-smoked over wood; indoor variations use a slow cooker. The meat is then shredded manually and mixed with a sauce.
- Divide cheese into 8, (1-ounce) portions.
- Suspend a wooden spoon or measuring stick over 2 cans or boxes. Drape a piece of foil over top, pressing lightly to form a taco shell shape (cheese will be draped over top of the foil to form taco shells in step 6).
- Turn on the broiler in an oven or toaster oven.
- On one side of a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, spread one portion of cheese into a 6-inch circle; repeat to make a second, 6-inch circle on the opposite side.
- Broil until crisp about 5 to 7 minutes.
- With a spatula or knife, carefully lift each cheese circle and drape over foil to form taco shells. Allow a few minutes to harden.
- Repeat with remaining cheese portions.
- Heat a non-stick pan over high heat. Coat with non-stick spray, and add pork and taco seasoning. Allow pork to brown on one side before stirring. Sauté pork and adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
To make taco shells:
To make pork filling:
- For one portion, top 2 taco shells with 2 cups lettuce, 3 ounces pork, ¼ cup cilantro, ¾ ounce avocado and ½ cup tomatoes.
Serving Size 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 256
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 13.4g21%
- Cholesterol 56.8mg19%
- Sodium 309.8mg13%
- Total Carbohydrate 16g6%
- Protein 18.9g38%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.